Monday, January 22, 2018

Day 14 - Cheater Cheater Apple Crisp Eater

So me and my keto diet have been going steady for 2 weeks. We survived our first weekend together [although he was very clingy and demanding at times with all the non-carb eating]. All the bacon and cheese and delicious other food is great and all, but man do I want a french fry. I would just die for an apple! I would completely hoover a bowl of pasta. So instead of completely throwing in the towel and having a carb-fest, I tell myself I can have a cheat day.

I feel like there is only one circumstance under which cheating is allowed. 

Dieting.

Image result for cheating on my diet.

I'm not talking about all out glutinous cheating. Shoving-every-morsel-of-food-in-sight-down-my-face-hole type of cheating is not allowed [like this cute little hammy hamster]. Nope. I'm just gonna go ahead and make up a word for it.

Controlled Cheating. Yep, that sounds good.

We have to set some ground rules.
1 - Set a date, one day only.
2 - Don't cheat AT ALL until that one day.
3 - If you cheat, you must make up for it with exercise.

So I set my date for 2 weeks after my start. That is how I got through the first couple of days of the diet. [It's ok Leah, you can have pasta in 12 days!] That got me through a lot...
So Saturday we went to our friends house Dave a Meredith [who we met years ago playing beer league kickball!]. Meredith kindly let me make a dessert for our dinner. I settled on an apple crisp. Oh man was it delicious. The sweet tart apples along with a crispy sweet buttery topping. Not keto friendly at all. Oh man was it worth it though.

No cheating until the designated cheat day. So many days I looked at all the sweets we have in our house and longed for just a taste. BUT what was funny was I really wanted the mundane things like yogurt and cereal and pretzels.  Sometimes you can figure out replacements like keto pancakes for regular buttermilk pancakes [below, from Low Carb Yum recipe]. And then there is keto bread too [not as good as the real thing].




If you cheat, you have to make up for it by exercising. Yep, that's right. You have to punish yourself for cheating...its like repenting. You have to repent after you sin and I guess cheating on your diet is kinda like sinning against your diet? Sure, why not. I figure if you are eating extra calories, you have to burn extra calories or you will ruin all those days you deprived yourself of delicious carbs. On my cheat day I did an extra hard spin workout. So my penance was paid.

Getting back on the straight and narrow was hard after my cheat day. We went to the in-laws house and there were chips and tortillas and cheese dip...yum. I brought my low carb tortilla with me and had my cheese dip with that. [And maybe sat in the bathroom and cried because I wanted all the chips...ok, not really].

That's the thing with cheat days, the next day is so hard. It's almost like a cheating hangover. Yep, carb loving cheating hangover. Yuck. Is it worth it?

Yep.

Now I'm looking forward to my next cheat day....February 3rd. Only days away!!! 

Maybe I'll have donuts....after I do my spin workout....for only one day....

Image result for cheating on my diet

No comments:

Post a Comment