Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 27: I’m a Ski Bunny!

Gotta Love the 80's!
http://www.svguide.com/w05/w05_skifashion.htm
 
That’s right folks, I’m going out to snowy Colorado and turning into a fluffy, bedazzled, fur wearing, après ski drinking snow bunny!  Ok, not really.  When we go skiing [once a year usually], we are serious about getting all the skiing in that we can.  There is no time for bedazzling ski parkas, and fluffing my hair just right to fit with my furry ear muffs.  No, we get up early, and are waiting to jump on when the ski lifts open at 9 am.  We ski all morning, and then take a break for lunch.  THEN, we get back to it and ski until the lifts start closing down around 4:30.  We are seriously serious.  Although, I do like to have an après skiing drink.  Ok, let’s just call it a beer for the hot tub!  None of this après fanciness! 
The real ski bunnies!  Me and my friend Hollis!  I can't wait to see her and her hubs!!
 
This week hasn’t been the greatest for me.  I have maintained my weight, but haven’t really lost any yet this week.  [It may be the cheese burger I ate at a friend’s bday party on Saturday].  I’m really hoping that on this ski trip, I can do good on my diet with the extra available calories from skiing. 
I had NO idea how many calories you burn when you are skiing until I looked it up.  I will burn about 600 per hour!  And since we are super serious non-fancy skier people, I’ll be skiing for around 6 hours!  Now let’s say about half of that is down time on lifts and figuring out the runs we want to do.  That means about 3 hours, 180 minutes.  That means that I will burn about 1800 calories a day!!!  That is like having another full day’s serving of calories!  Awesome!  So if I just limit my caloric intake to 2,000 [instead of my regular 1,200] , I will still be burning an extra 1,000.
I really hope that’s true!!  I am going to wear my heart rate monitor to see how many I actually burn, and I will report back what I find.
So what are some activities that you enjoy that could be major calorie burners?
·         Dancing – About 400 per hour
·         Hiking – About 500 per hour
·         Yoga – About 350 per hour
·         Swimming – About 400 per hour
·         Gardening – About 300 per hour
·         Playing Ping Pong – About 350 per hour
·         Walking the Dog (brisk) – About 400 per hour
Get out there and do some of these to burn some calories while doing something you enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment