Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 61: In a Fight with My HR Monitor

Day 61: Heart Rate vs. Calorie Burn

How accurate are heart rate monitors at telling you how many calories you’ve burned?
After running on the treadmill this morning, I looked at my heart rate monitor to see how many calories I burned.  It said I burned 456 for running on the treadmill for about 30 minutes.  I started thinking about it, and that seems a little high for just running for 30 min.  When I entered it into My Fitness Pal [AKA: favorite app on the planet!], it told me 354 calories.  Which one is correct?  What if neither is accurate?!  Is this why I can’t get over my plateau?  Have I been eating too many calories???!!!  EEEEECCCKKKKKK!!!!!


 
Maybe it’s because the heart rate monitor’s calorie counter is off!  Stupid HR monitor! 
[We are in a fight!]

Ok, I guess I shouldn’t be hard on the little guy since he is really just made to monitor your heart rate [thus why it is called a heart rate monitor and not a calorie burn counter, duh].  From now on, I am going to just have to calculate my calories burned.  How do you do that?  Funny you should ask!
How to calculate your calories burned using your age, weight, average heart rate, and time exercised:  [From the Journal of Sports Sciences]
 
Men:

Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184.

 Women:

Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

For those of us who are not mathematicians or engineers,  here is an automatic calculator…much easier!!


 I entered my info into this calculator, and the reading said 307.  If I had been entering 400+ calories into MFP, I will have been eating at least 100 more calories a day!  That’s 700 a week!  Not good! 

 Now that I have almost all of the Girl Scout cookies out of my house, I think I can get back on track and start using my new handy dandy calculator [ok, too much Blue’s Clues].  Woohoo!

 I’m going to try using the calculated calorie burn and see if that makes a difference.  I only need 12 more pounds to get back to pre-baby weight, so I’ve got to step it up!!  Bikini season is creeping up on us! 

 Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Well, this worked in my advantage!! My heart rate monitor is way wrong in the opposite direction!! Now, do I invest in new heart rate monitor or calculate each time:). Choices, choices!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's awesome!! I would probably just make sure it is calculating your heart rate correctly, and keep it for that :) I guess we just can't count on them to be accurate for calories burned. Mine was off by double this am! Yikes!

      Delete